Thursday, September 24, 2015

Trains, Numbers, and What I Should Do Next

Every day, we see multiple trains pass through Puyallup. Bub is in LOVE. We count cars, we talk about freight, and we.cannot.get.enough. By we, I mean he, in case you can't hear me saying this aloud to know where the emphasis/sarcasm should go. But I do love that he is so excited about something and wants to learn more. He's paging through a stack of non-fiction kids train books right now, including the one with hand-drawn cross-sections of a dozen different trains.
Every day, we walk Bumper to the bus stop, which is probably a half mile or more, and along the way (through the trailer park), Bub demands to know the number of every trailer. This is even more tedious than the train schtick, but I continue to answer him happily because I want him to be interested in numbers. Yesterday, I used it as an exercise in subtraction, by asking Bumper what would be next (as we walk home, we walk on the odd side, and the numbers go down by two, such as 63 take away 2 is...?, 55 take away 2 is...?) but she got tired of that real quick. Oh well. Maybe next time/later.
I'm really struggling with being unemployed today/this week that has completely whizzed by. I don't have a network here, and I don't have regular daycare to spend time building a professional network/taking people to coffee/asking for informational interviews. Also, Bumper gets on the bus at 8:06a and gets off at 3:39p, so anything I accomplish in a day really needs to be between those times.I might go see about a co-op preschool for Bub, so I can have a few hours of solitude each week to devote to this searching/networking/etc.
So, hurdles. And right now, they seem like really, really big hurdles. I know in my head they are regular-sized hurdles, and yet, my feels get in the way and distort my vision. Please say a little prayer for me that my vision is clear and I feel empowered instead of deflated.
Finally, I don't know that I really want to continue on a legal path; I really liked being involved with "problem-solving courts" for the human story part of it, and I was good enough at the legal-ish work, but the WA bar part is also cause for anxiety in my life. I mean, do I know enough law to actually practice? Should I really let that stop me? I mean, Amy Poehler and Hugh Laurie would tell me that we have to do things before we 'feel ready' because nobody ever really 'feels ready.' But not feeling/being ready is a recipe for disaster re: taking a bar exam, and I'm not so excited about that.
I found a communications position that I think I'd really enjoy and be successful in, but I just saw that the posting was re-listed/re-opened, without an invitation to interview from the first listing. I'll call today to see if they got everything they need from me/if I should re-submit my application...Cue trombone music.
Time to go pick up Bumper from the bus stop and get some dinner in the kids before we go gorge on fried treats at the fair, so I'll leave it here and hopefully have something more fun/hopeful/positive to report on soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment